Sash windows have always been a popular window style due to their charming look that transports you back in time. Created in the 17th century, they were the main form of window styles throughout the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian periods.
Many choose them for their traditional property to keep their home looking authentic. However, those in modern homes also want to have a slice of period living themselves.
What are sash windows and why are they so popular?
Sash windows, also known as vertical sliding sash windows, have one or two vertical sashes that can slide vertically. This allows control over ventilation in your home as well as making cleaning easier. Traditionally the sliding mechanism used was weights and cords. If you prefer a modern alternative, hidden spring balances can now be used. These windows often have Georgian bars which adds to the attractive look and they can easily blend in with any style of home.
What are the benefits of modern sash windows?
Sash windows of the past can suffer from many problems. Made from old and worn timber, they can become creaky and draughty. They will also require time-consuming maintenance and repainting. Thankfully, modern windows don’t have this issue. Modern timber is coated with paint that only needs infrequent reapplying and protects the window from corrosion. Reliable uPVC will not need repainting and can come in a variety of colours including wood effects.
Our beautiful range of sash windows
- Available in authentic timber or reliable uPVC, we can create any design you want in your home. They will perfectly fit in with traditional homes but also suit contemporary properties
- Authentic weights and cords or modern spring balances are available
- With an A energy rating available, our windows will keep your warmth in during the cold months and keep your heating usage low. With efficient glass, heat is reflected during the summer so your home won’t overheat
- Secure locks ensure that your sash windows will keep your home protected against intrusion. Original ironmongery is available to keep the charming heritage feel and add the perfect finishing touch. Secured by Design accreditation is available
- Choose from a variety of heritage and contemporary colours including Chartwell Green and wood finishes such as Irish Oak. Our timber windows are applied with primer, preservative and micro-porous paint so your colour stays looking good for years. Our uPVC windows won’t need repainting and have a durable finish that impresses
If you’re looking at upgrading your windows and want an attractive new style, consider sash windows. They’ll add a timeless charm to your home. Get in touch with us today to find out what our sash windows could do for your home.